cheapLEY's Off-Topic Roundup (Noclip looks at DOOM, FFXV) (Gaming)

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, December 10, 2016, 22:50 (2712 days ago)

Hi folks!

I don't play Destiny anymore. I miss you all, and, other than Cruel, I never did play with any of you PS4 folks after I made the jump. I'm sorry about that. I'm sure I'll see you when Destiny 2 hits!

I like you guys, and I like talking to you guys, but I don't have much to add to anything here anymore. I don't even know what Destiny looks like right now. I've become the "off-topic" guy lately, and I hope that's not too bothersome--I like talking to you folks!

DOOM got a lot of love every, included here, so I figured maybe this was worth a post, and since I'm already here, I'll throw a few other random things in, too.

I've been championing Danny O'Dwyer and his documentaries over at Noclip. Next week, his three part series on DOOM 2016 will be released. Here's a trailer:

Doesn't that look great? I can't wait to watch it, and the story looks as interesting as I assumed it would be. I really dug his look at Rocket League, and the extended interview he posted with Jeremy Dunham, the marketing director over there, was a really fascinating look at working with Sony for PS+ (even though it is, predictably, short on details of that relationship).

That was the main thing I wanted to point out--I really like what Danny is doing, and I want to make sure people at least see it so it can continue and grow.

But while I'm here, one other thing that's on my mind: Final Fantasy XV.

We know Cody didn't like it, but is anyone else playing it? I have never enjoyed a Final Fantasy game. I played a bit of FF7 when a friend got it for his Windows computer in '98, but, to ten-year-old me, it didn't even come close to the joy of playing Ocarina of Time, so I wrote it off. I never tried another FF until FFXIII on Xbox 360, which I also didn't like. So I have basically no experience with the series.

Final Fantasy XV, for some reason, really piqued my interest. I watched some coverage in the last week or so and decided to jump in. I've only played for about four hours or so, but I am really digging it. I really like the battle system--it's just fun. It's sort of hard to judge, and it's really difficult for me not to compare it to The Witcher 3, which is my go-to standard for open world games. I'm not FFXV comes close to that game in any regard. The world feels large but empty in comparison (even in terms of just landscape design--just the amount of shrubs and other plants in TW3 makes the world feel "real" in a way that FFXV can't compete with. FFXV looks and feels very much like a video game in that regard). The side quests are mostly boring fetch quests so far, but the combat is enough fun that I don't really mind at this point. I really love the car stuff, for some reason. I like not having to drive, and I like customizing the Regalia. Overall, I'm really digging it, and I hope it holds up for the entire game, but we'll see.

I suppose that's it. DOOM, Dishonored, and FFXV.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread