Cheap Games, the original Deus Ex, and other Miscellany. (Gaming)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Saturday, December 24, 2016, 23:04 (2698 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I bear everyone to keep in mind that this game is 16 years old, and technically not all aspects hold up (many didn't even on release). I'd urge everyone to just explore and experiment, and I promise that will be very rewarding. You will be very surprised at the things you find and story you uncover and ways you can play if you apply yourself.

What makes a game hold up beyond nostalgia? I've been thinking about this some lately, as I dabbled in playing through some of Morrowind again. And Halo is also 15 years old now, but I think that game totally holds up. While it does show it's age graphically, and is quite a bit slower than modern shooters, it still feels like a modern game. But how much of that is nostalgia coloring my perception?

Halo 1 has aged wonderfully. The limitations of its time are half the fun (you can't simply sprint to cover, or rely on mid-ranged precision weapons to cut down enemies before they can touch you). It's still a great game to play. Halo 2 has easily aged the worst of any Halo, and feels as "half-baked and overlooked" as ever. Nostalgia can take you a long way, but sometimes a game is just really dang good, and can stand on its own years down the line. I replayed System Shock 2 shortly before my computer incident, and the graphics were laughable, but the gameplay was terrifying, and in many ways better than many games that I've played through now.

I've been playing through Borderlands 2 again with Sammy and my brother (his first time playing it), and we're having a lot of fun. It's funny that Destiny's gameplay has made Borderlands far less enjoyable (the gameplay is rather stiff in comparison), but the story holds up enough to get us through, and we haven't even gotten to the better-than-campaign DLCs.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread