Gaming Deals Awareness Thread, Post-E3 Edition. (Gaming)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, June 14, 2017, 23:24 (2517 days ago)
edited by Korny, Wednesday, June 14, 2017, 23:40

As an addendum to the still-available deals that I mentioned last week, there were indeed many more great deals added after the press conferences, and definitely a lot of games worth a look.

Playstation

A Best of E3 sale is live, with 145 more things added to the sale besides the great Days of Play stuff (including 51 full PS4 games). Like I said, the original Days of Play deals are still live until Friday, so grab those if you haven't.
Highlights from the new sale:

Titanfall 2 ($19.99):
If Cruel's montage set to BB's "Blow Me Away" didn't clue you in, we still love Titanfall. It's one of those games that I regularly load up between game sessions to do a quick round or two, and I'm on my fourth campaign playthrough (Even though I Platinum'd the game on my second). It's a game that shows a developer listening and improving on every aspect of the first game (I think the first game sucked!). The campaign is great. The gameplay and balance is great. All DLC is free (and great). The only things that you can pay for are optional skins, shaders, and emblems (not that the game is in short supply of any of these). I'd even buy the Deluxe Edition for $5 more just to support the devs, and to show the industry that I as a player appreciate Respawn showing them How It's Done. [Metascore: 89]

Shadow of Mordor [GotY Edition] ($9.99):
This was on sale less than a month ago, so I'll just quote myself:

If you loved Horizon Zero Dawn, this game has a lot of similarities to it (and some of the same talent behind it). It was definitely one of my favorite open-world games after the Assassin's Creed series burnt me out on the genre, so if you need something to draw you in (or keep you entertained while we wait for HZD DLC), this is a great choice. Plus, the game pioneers a Nemesis system that you'll no doubt be seeing much more of in the future (especially in the insane-looking sequel). Some neat DLC that integrates well into the main game, so definitely worth picking up.

[Metascore: 84 (at launch, no score for GoTY)]

Dying Light: The Following Edition ($14.99)
My personal GotY of 2016, Dying Light was a great example of a smaller studio putting a lot of passion into a project, and trying to change up the zombie genre a bit. It's rough around all of the edges, but as a co-op game, few have been as fun, or have had nearly as much variety in content. The game was essentially overhauled as well nearly a year after launch, and The Following expansion more or less doubled the content and improvements to the game. [Metascore: 86 (the original game launched with a 74)]

Wolfenstein: The New Order ($9.99):
What should have been a mediocre attempt to cash in on Nostalgia ended up being the biggest surprise in recent gaming memory (Doom was another on a similar level). I'd hate to hype it up and take away from the low expectations, so I'll just say that I played through the entire game twice, with completely different playstyles, and I loved it both times. Well worth a couple of playthroughs. You can also pick up the Old Blood DLC for $10, but I haven't played it, so no input. [Metascore: 79]

Transistor ($4.99):
Another game from the folks who made Bastion, the combat in this game was really unique. You can combine different skills to make a new ability, and change them up with different enemies. A real memorable experience and some great art and music. [Metascore: 83]

Outlast: Bundle of Terror ($7.24):
A first-person horror survival game, Outlast was surprisingly entertaining. It told an interesting story, and the encounters/puzzles were tense and could be mastered. The real treat, though, is the Whistleblower expansion that comes included with this bundle (and which costs $10 alone). It changes things up enough gameplay-wise that you feel a different sort of horror than the main game, while having a more focused story (and it even fixed the issues that I had with the main game's ending). A good game to play with a loved one or two (taking turns at the controller). [Metascore: 77 (at launch)]

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition ($8.99):
Better than the sequel (IMO), this was a successful revamp of the Tomb Raider franchise. Some fun challenges, a neat story, and fun combat, it's definitely worth checking out. [Metascore: 85]

Some notable deals on games that I've not played, but would like to hear from folks who have (also, I enjoy walking simulators):

Dishonored: Definitive Edition ($9.99): Metascore: 80

Dishonored 2: ($29.99): Metascore: 88

Firewatch ($7.99) Metascore: 76

Oxenfree ($5.99): Metascore: 79

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided ($17.99) Metascore: 84

===============================================

Xbox

Xbox has another small batch of deals up. If you like shports and racing games, they might just be up your alley! They also have a few other games, though I haven't played any of them:

Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition ($10):
Hailed as pretty much the best non-AAA Xbox game (and it outscores many of those in reviews). [Metascore: 88]

State of Decay: Year One Survival Edition ($9.90)
A fun zombie third-person RPG. I only played the demo, but it was real addictive. [Metascore: 72]

Stardew Valley ($11.24)
All folks seem to love this farming RPG where you build relationships and craft your own story. [Metascore: 88]

Forza 2 - Forza 300 ($10-$29.99)
Racing games with what I can only assume is some difference between each iteration. A bunch are available at a range of prices, so yeah, if you're into that, you have a slew of options... [Metascore [79-91]

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread