Kotaku splitscreen interview: Including very honest history (Destiny)

by Kahzgul, Thursday, June 15, 2017, 23:31 (2477 days ago) @ yakaman

Just the fact that they feel comfortable airing their dirty laundry like this gives me much more confidence in the quality of Destiny 2. This time in Destiny 1's cycle was all smoke and mirrors and marketing lines.

Yes, this. There always seemed to be something gumming up the mix. We learned about the technical (dependencies) issues they battled and I think resolved for D2. Perhaps there was also a vision issue as well.

To me, it seems Luke has the clearest, most coherent, and most literal idea of what the game should be. Gives us a good reason to believe D2 has the potential for solid improvement.

I fully agree!

Destiny 1: "What is this game?" Bungie: "It's a shared world shooter where you become legend!" "What does 'become legend mean?" Bungie: "You know, your gear will tell your story!" "What does that mean?" Bungie: "Epic loot!" "how does epic loot make us legend? What does any of this mean?" Bungie: "Forge your own destiny!" "WHAT?"

Destiny 2: "What is this game?" Bungie: "We've realized there were mistakes in D1. Gaps in plot, characterization, backstory. The fundamentals of narrative structure. So we're rebuilding everything from the ground up. We're starting with the basic structure of the world, like 'what is your light, where does it come from, and why is it important to you.' The gameplay is the same sort of Destiny action you've come to love, but we've tuned it to keep you in the action more, rather than having you take cover instead. We've also moved all of the OHK weapons into the same slot to aid in balancing, and we've put in these great action moments in the story where you get to see the other characters, interact with them, and really take part in the narrative we're telling."

It's night and day and I love it.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread