So, anyone else finding PS4 controllers prone to failure? (Gaming)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, July 12, 2017, 13:40 (2489 days ago) @ Vortech
edited by Korny, Wednesday, July 12, 2017, 13:45

The controller that came with my launch PS4 developed a problem where every time I shot a gun by pulling the right trigger I would move slightly right as if the left stick was being tilted right a bit. This was right after the warranty period, or maybe just before but it was a gift so getting proof of purchase was a hassle so I just bought a replacement and figured the problem was not so annoying it could not make for a short term 2d controller for one of the local multiplayer games that are no longer made. (Also being a gift means the controller lasted through about 9 months since it was bought at launch but only got set up after Christmas.

This is usually caused by a tiny little white plastic not latching on to the black nubby on the side of the thumbstick. What exactly does it do? Who knows! But pushing it in with a screwdriver fixed it for us.

Replacement controller had one of the buttons die quick enough that I could do a retail exchange.

The second year of SRL I was losing every race and couldn't figure out why since I had been ok at it the year before. I'm sure you see where this is going? I just started playing witcher 3 and to cast a spell you pull right trigger. Except it does nothing unless I squeeze as hard as I can, and then it activates. So, I'm assuming the trigger no longer has the full range and that's why I lose every SRL race.

This is going to be either the rubber under the trigger being out of place, or something sticky inside your trigger (stop eating food while you play lol). Open the controller and remove the trigger (but be careful not to lose the little metal hinge that pushes the trigger back up... though if you do lose it, it comes included with triggers that you can order from newegg for a couple of bucks... I had that same issue pop up when I knocked that little plastic out of place while painting Sammy's controller.

I know I play a pretty decent amount of destiny, but I'm not obsessive about it. More days I can't play video games than can and the Xbox takes some of that time. Point is, I don't think I am playing more than most and I'm not hard on the equipment. Anyone else finding these things don't last more than a year or am I just really lucky?

We played enough to wear the thumbsticks down to the plastic (thankfully you can buy new thumbsticks online for a few bucks), and haven't ever had a permanent issue with any of them. I think there are simply some assembly issues with some controllers rather than flat-out hardware failure. Don't be afraid to open the controllers; it's four phillips screws on the outside, one under the battery (and two ribbons that you don't NEEEED to unhook). Of course, if you can use the warranty, do that first, but you can have the controller in pieces and back together in minutes. Nothing too sensitive.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread