SGA: Pick Up Your Glimmer! (Destiny)

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Tuesday, September 12, 2017, 17:13 (2469 days ago) @ Claude Errera
edited by General Vagueness, Tuesday, September 12, 2017, 17:23

So, I think I've probably left thousands of Glimmer on the ground at this point. I'm still getting used to the new mechanic where chests drop physical items that must be picked up to be claimed:

And yet, your Glimmer is still likely showing up as 99999+. :P

I like how "99999+" just means "99999+1" :p

-Disciple

hmm, well that answers one thing I was curious about
I'm really glad they increased the cap but I think 100,000 is a bit high, especially given what's available to buy
it would be nice if we could buy other currency with glimmer, even if it's really expensive

I've dropped down below 50,000 a couple of times now. I'm REALLY HAPPY it's as high as it is; I see ABSOLUTELY NO BENEFIT in its being lower. I cannot for one minute come up with a reason why it should be lower that isn't countered with "but that makes no sense".

I'm seriously scratching my head on this one. Can you provide a single reason why you suggested the cap is too high? Does the large number of 9s bother you, or something?

Well they might inflate prices later so that it makes no difference, but I can't really remember why else it bothered me.
Maybe it's the sense that it doesn't matter. If you're never ever going to run out of glimmer, what's the point of it being limited, why not just get stuff for free? Another way to look at is that they could've achieved the same effect by just lowering the prices of things you can buy. If I'm getting a thousand glimmer in one sitting and never spending that much (because there's no need to), then why am I getting it?
That's probably what it is, it kind of feels like a consolation prize. I want to have a little bit of constraint I guess, not too much, but with NO constraint it feels kind of hollow.
There's no reason to choose wisely if there's no practical end to your resources.
Someone was defending this idea the other day on here when it comes to shaders, I didn't really see their point but I see it now.
Maybe that's a bit backwards, I can't defend the logic of it very far.
Maybe it works better once all the vendors are actually in play, I haven't been able to beat the story yet because of work and appointments and a personal project taking away a lot of my time.
I don't even feel that strongly about it, I just had the thought cross my mind and I posted it, and then you incited me to defend it and I'm a sucker for that.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread