Final Cut. (no VO, no epilogue) (Off-Topic)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, October 11, 2017, 19:16 (2397 days ago) @ narcogen

My dad has the directors cut on DVD. Is this the one to watch?

I heard bad stuff about final cut, and also bad stuff about director's cut, and tons of bad stuff about theatrical.

The theatrical version is fine if you want a hard-boiled detective story set in the future. The director's cut has more ambiguity, and is more of a sci-fi art house film. Big fans tend to prefer it, especially because it makes it easier to imbue the film with (perhaps not quite warranted?) deep philosophical significance. As far as I can tell, the final cut is the same as the director's cut with some color adjustments.

Not just that. Also has restored dream sequence footage not seen in any other version and is pivotal to interpreting the film.

It's a fucking stupid interpretation. Deckard being a replicant ruins so much of the theme. This is why the workprint is the best version: no narration, no happy ending, and no stupid dream sequence.

Also if you look closely at Blade Runner 2049, this interpretation is proven false. Deckard is human.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread