My take (long, SPOILERS) (Off-Topic)

by Robot Chickens, Tuesday, October 17, 2017, 21:46 (2392 days ago) @ narcogen

We're told that distinguishing replicants from humans is so difficult that you need specially-trained operators using specialty equipment in order to make this distinction. But we NEVER actually see it work successfully; in fact we might be forgiven from concluding that it does not, and perhaps never has, worked.

The test supposedly looks for an absence of emotional reaction to content that is expected to produce an emotional reaction. (The film's obsession with emotions as evidence of humanity I abhor, but this is the film's premise so I have to roll with it in order to discuss.) Ford's predecessor is doing the V-K test to Tyrell employees when he runs into Leon. When asked about his mother, Leon shoots the interrogator.

I’m not sure this is true. The test looks for abnormalities in emotional responses, but I don’t think it tries to prove a negative so-to-speak. This makes sense because the emotional development of the replicants is truncated and unpredictable. They only get this ability after a few years and they don’t live long enough to develop mature responses.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread