Bright Engrams -- slippery slope? (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, December 20, 2017, 13:46 (2380 days ago) @ nico

There are a few ways to approach this, I think. Some may say that while theoretically possible, using eververse to farm parts to exchange for weapons is so time consuming and expensive that it really isn’t a problem. Others will argue that if there were people who spent $1500 on ME3 Microtransactions, then we can’t make any assumptions about what people will or won’t spend.

Personally, I kind of feel like we’ve lost as soon as the issue becomes debatable at all. Microtransactions can be non-invasive. Other games have done it. Maybe I’m pessimistic, but I don’t see the term “slippery slope” as being an accurate descriptor in this case. I think what’s happening is more deliberate than that.

How do you get people to accept something that you know they don’t want to accept? You take a tiny little step in that direction. Then another, and another, right up until they complain. Then you wait. Then after a while, you take another tiny step, then they complain, so you wait again. Then another step, etc.

To me, the eververse reeks of deliberate encroachment. They’re gradually making it bigger and more invasive, and we’re left trying to figure out where “the line” is when really it shouldn’t be in the game all :-/

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread