Bright Engrams -- slippery slope? (Destiny)

by Kahzgul, Wednesday, December 20, 2017, 21:55 (2379 days ago) @ slycrel

Also remember that people's JOBS rely on money being spent at eververse. That inching won't stop, primarily because those people are IN CHARGE of that pool of features. Even if not intentional at all. :/

I'm mostly? fine with what is more or less in there now, though it is much more in your face. I am disappointed that eververse is a vital part of the ecosystem though. I do feel like it's the only way to get interesting things outside of major releases, which is a shame.

The money eververse brings in is dramatically more than the jobs of the small number of people who support it. Prices on microtransactions (everywhere) are grossly disproportionate to the work needed to create them. Pay $10 for a new skin that took one artist less than a day to make? Or $15 for an expansion pack that took 300 people two solid months of dev followed by three months of testing?

Saying "but their jobs" is denying the reality of the microtransactional universe: Namely that it's a cash grab by the corporations to boost profits for their shareholders.

If we hadn't all paid $60+ for the base game, then you would have a stronger argument, but the fact of the matter is that the base purchase is what protects those people's jobs, and the microtrans is gravy on top for the CEO and board of directors and pretty much no one else.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread