I don't care about Pay to Win . . . (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, December 21, 2017, 20:58 (2472 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I hear ya, buddy. It's not the things for sale as much as the things in the normal game which are made shittier in order to make the things for sale more attractive.

I wonder how many of the decisions in the game's mechanics were made under the guise of "this will inconvenience the player and will drive them towards eververse, which will sell things that negate those inconveniences." in a perfect world, it would be zero, but that is clearly not the case here.

Speaking of: I find player choice important. Having to choose between a sparrow that reloads your guns when you hop on vs. one that spawns quickly vs. one that is more maneuverable while riding is interesting and gives the player a sense of ownership over their ride. Having a sparrow that does everything, hidden behind a slot machine paywall, just makes the people who made choices into second class plebs.

In principle, I agree with you. But mostly, I just think those perks are lame and not interesting. They're just not really meaningful choices in my opinion. They could give me a Sparrow that had literally all of those perks and it wouldn't change me experience in any meaningful way.

I told kupkake and Destroyo tonight while we were playing that I just immediately shard all new Ghosts. I pick my Ghost based on the way it looks. All the perks are dumb. I'm lazy, I'm not going to switch my Ghost out every time I go to a new planet. It's just lame. Perks should be far, far more interesting than that, in my opinion. Things like finding resources shouldn't be a chore I have to do in the game. Making a perk that makes that chore slightly less frustrating isn't cool or interesting, and I honestly just don't care enough to engage with that shit. I'll do those chores as I play the game--it'll happen when it happens.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread