How to get a free Macbook Pro (Off-Topic)

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Thursday, December 28, 2017, 16:54 (2315 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I'm surprised you aren't already aware that is standard practice for them. Apple is all about selling you the experience, and they go to great lengths to craft and control it. (I'm not bashing them for it)

**story time**

I worked worked for a few years as an IT guy for several school districts in my state.

At the time (and today still) getting iPads and chromebooks into classrooms was all the rage.

You know kids right?

Think they care about a $600 iPad they get from the school?

Hell naw.

So my supervisor decided to pay to get me trained to repair broken screens, batteries etc for iPhones and iPads through Apple's official licensed repair tech program so we could sell that service to these schools.

I took the courses and the main solution to fix things they push you to, is to replace it. Like, "Chapter 1, you have an iPad that won't charge. Requisition a new one, send old one back". No checking to see if the battery was faulty or anything, just replace the whole dang thing.

That's why they push iCloud and syncing to their servers- they'd rather migrate your account and give you a replacement. It doesn't cost them much. The profit margin on their products was ridiculous.

I'll have to see if I still have the 'catalog' of parts we COULD order to replace, but it was crazy. Like, a $2 speaker, for example.

Their stuff is disposable by design.

In the news *right now* they are getting flak about throttling processor speed on iPhones with old batteries. Been doing it for years. They reason they cite for doing so may or may not be valid from person to person, but... eh.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread