How Cody plays PS4 (Destiny)

by DEEP_NNN, Sunday, December 31, 2017, 15:19 (2360 days ago) @ Cody Miller

But, we all know 1080p on a monitor has many pixels per resolution unit. 4K gives us even more pixels. Everything is simply better, sharper and more colourful.

Lol. 4K doesn't make things more colorful. That is HDR, which can be used in 1080p. That pic I posted sure looks pretty colorful in standard def AND SDR even!

Sharper: I would rather have a better looking image (more lighting effects and shaders) than a small amount of extra sharpness.

This seems so easy to explain, but bear with me. Go play the original Quake, and crank it up to 4K. Looks like ass right? Now go play MGS 4 in 540p. Which looks better? The one with 1/16th the resolution? Huh. Weird. Maybe it's because the engine is doing cool things with the models, lighting, animation systems, and shaders. Things modern games could have more of if they spent the GPU power on those instead of on a 4K image.

Cody, stop the crap. Just wake up and get the gear before you're considered a dinosaur.

The additional colour in a new 4K UHD HDR TV is well utilized by HDR. OldK doesn't even have the bandwidth to show a more full colour spectrum.

2019 may be the last year for any appreciable 1080p TV production. Don't push 1080p as the holy grail when tech is clearly not going that way.

Let game and hardware developers to their jobs.

Also, would never play those games. Ever!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread