How Cody plays PS4 (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, December 31, 2017, 18:09 (2368 days ago) @ Kermit

I think it will be a moot point soon enough. There's a limit to how much resolution the human eye can detect, and then the power will be directed elsewhere. Right now it's a selling point that is easy to quantify, regardless of its true value. You seem to imply that only the resolution is what has been improved and that's not true.

No, of course other areas have improved. Consoles now are rendering 1080p, which is a hair below 2K. This was the standard for cinema for the longest time, and was seen on screens much bigger than anyone has at home. The jump from 2k to 4K in terms of resolution is minuscule on a TV. In terms of 'what can I do to make this image look better?' Increasing resolution beyond a certain point gives you the least return.

The jump from 480i to 1080p is huge, and absolutely beneficial even on small screens. That was an increase of more than 13x the number of pixels. 1080p to 4KUHD is 4x the number of pixels.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread