Criticisms 2: Arc Boogaloo [1] (Destiny)

by Harmanimus @, Wednesday, January 03, 2018, 16:15 (2459 days ago)
edited by Harmanimus, Wednesday, January 03, 2018, 16:18

So, this one has grown and shrunk repeatedly. From being a holistic review and criticism down to bullet points of areas of improvement. I think I am more concerned about systems at this point here. While obviously holding some complaints, this is ideally more a discussion of potential, some of it spurred by recent threads. So, I'll try to keep it simple. [Note: Curse of Osiris spoilers kinda maybe if you haven't played it and want no info?]

Mods and Masterwork
[1.1a] I previously discussed my thoughts on mods and my disappointment how they are implemented, especially in the context of fixed rolls. I am looking forward to seeing what they do to adjust both the mod economy and implementation, and expect at a minimum the mods will no longer be set to slots but the gear will still be limited. To that same effect I think MW weapons are not what they could be. Perhaps these should have been rolled into a single system, to provide a more substantial valuation.

[1.1b] In the context of weapons, I would rather that Masterwork weapons give you a secondary perk rather than a negligible stat boost. Orb generation is appreciated, though more variety in possible methods is needed. There are a few specific perks that seem to be desired, same way as in Dest1ny. Kill Clip and Rampage are both defaults for many players. HCR is still popular. Situational perks should be moved to mods, appropriately limited to a small set per weapon, maintaining the hand-crafted feel. Having two perks which synergize well would improve the enjoyability of many less popular weapons which may have better core stats but a worse perk.

[1.1c] Regarding armor, as it seems apparent that the direction is still less abilities for more basic shooting (though my enjoyment of Mayhem implies that should be otherwise), I doubt they will have MW armor directly reduce ability cooldowns. So I would suggest continuing a two-direction approach, but instead of orb generation you have direct Grenade/Melee/Class ability perks. Melee damage reduces grenade cooldown, melee kills reduce melee cooldown, etc. The secondary aspect would be the (I believe Bungie suggested) roll change for armor. So if you like the look of a mobility piece but want it to be heavy you can change that.

[1.2a] This may be more appropriate to rewards, but it is necessary here as well. I would also make a dedicated path to upgrading gear to MW if these changes were put in place. Whether it is a weekly stream of MW Cores or a weekly quest that allows you to pick and choose, I am indifferent. And I would not have this replace the existing mod system with direct ability cooldowns and performance enhancing mods.

#3 got spam filtered

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread