These are entirely reasonable (Destiny)

by Harmanimus @, Thursday, January 04, 2018, 18:32 (2355 days ago) @ Durandal

Lets go back to the initial Destiny pitch, where your favored activities would influence your gear.

While I have some really great stories about how I got gear in Dest1ny, and a few that are entertaining about Des2ny (you normally don't get the item you want out of an Exotic Engram from Rahool when you say "F- You, it's Christmas, gimme dis" but it worked) the way most of the loot is awarded and how you define your character with it are pretty meh.

While Bungie has implemented a different armor for each activity and destination, the random drops basically ruin it. Aside from raid/trials gear you can get any gear at any time from any activity.

Interestingly enough, I hadn't actually spent much time thinking about how much overlap there is in gear from an activity distribution standpoint. But there actually is quite a lot. I know people complained about Iron Banner weapons being recolors (which while disappointing wasn't the biggest of deals to me) but when you actually look at the armor sets across what we have? Of 5 destinations, 3 have reused sets. And all the available Engram-Bonus sets are doubled up on.

D1 had a variety of Crucible-only drops which weren't in other loot tables and weren't Crucible gear. More gear in general that you don't get from engrams would likely go a long way for a lot of people.

The pool really needs to tighten so that specific gear and mod drops are unique to various activities. Tokens are not the same, and should not replace mod or frame drops, but supplement them.

Also, I like that you did in like 2 lines what I had to ramble for paragraphs to express.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread