A thought, and a request for ideas (DBO)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 11:34 (2277 days ago)

With all the discussions about the state of the forums over the past few days, a thought occurred to me that I wanted to share with all of you. I might be completely wrong, but if I am even partially right, I'm wondering if anyone might have ideas on how to address this.

One of the points I and others have brought up is the issue of balance: that DBO seems to be disproportionately filled with negative/critical posts, and that many of the points being expressed are repetitive. I don't want to get sidetracked on that half of the issue (I do have tons to say about that side, but I'll leave that for now). I want to address what's missing: the positive posts. I already brought up the seeming lack of community creations in another thread, so I want to leave that niche aside for now as well.

What I am wondering about in particular is the more "water-cooler" type of posts that I used to read here all the time (and even more so over at HBO). Stories about fun in-game adventures, amazing moments, hilarious mistakes, etc. It strikes me that while a great deal of the recent discussion here at DBO has been dominated by complaints or points of contention, the vast majority of those posting are still actively playing the game and enjoying themselves while they do it. Maybe they play every day, maybe once a week, once per month... whatever. Many of us are still having fun with Destiny on some level, so why is there less talk about that side of things now than ever before?

Maybe its just me, but when I tried to answer that question for myself (meaning why do I personally post fewer of those kinds of stories than I used to), it occurred to me that I don't feel the need to share those experiences here on the forum, because I was playing with DBOers when those moments happened. It breaks down when I really think about it (because there are far more people who read DBO than the 2-5 other DBOers I would have been playing with) but the feeling that hits me any time I consider making such a post is "eh... half the people who would read this were there when it happened, so why bother?".

So my question is: is this just me? Am I the only one who tumbles down this silly train of thought? Or are there others here who feel similarly? Is it possible that we all spend so much time playing together that we're less inclined to rush to the forums and talk to each other about the fun we had together? And if that is even partially the case, is there something we can do to turn that around? Shift it from a "bug" into a "feature"?

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread