Destiny make hurt Activision's bottom line (Criticism)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 11:50 (2281 days ago) @ Schooly D

Losing players and streamers is serious, but I'm curious why this analyst is ignoring the other side of the coin here: microtransactions (and the various methods Destiny 2 uses to influence you to use them) upset some players and drive them off, but they also bring in a lot of money. Who's to say Bungie/ATVI haven't run the numbers and decided the extra dosh hauled in via aggressive MTX isn't offsetting the decrease in players, player activity, and popularity?

I would guess that they are considering such things. The catch with MTX is that they are only effective if people are playing your game, and they are more effective the more people are playing. So when they look at the stats for D1 last year, a game that also had MTX, but also had a larger active player base, it is reasonable to assume that D2 is bringing in less revenue than D1 as a result.

I haven't checked, but I know that in 2015 and/or 2016, "Destiny Silver" was one of the most purchased items on the Playstation store. So having a high count of active players certainly lead to a lot of MTX sales for Bungie and Activision.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread