Something’s Missing: Defeats (Criticism)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, January 25, 2018, 11:42 (2254 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

[*]Taeko-3 sacrifices herself to stop the Hive deep beneath the Titan Archology

This is my favorite strike in destiny purely because I actually felt like I was helping someone and that there might actually be urgency. It is also the first time I actually felt loss.

They need more of this. It doesn't even have to be someone super important either!

Yeah. For me, for the feel of the Destiny environments to match their (stunning) visual realism, they need civilians or NPCs in game. I know that adding them would be a ton of work (each place where they were added in the first campaign mission was essentially a set piece), but I'd like NPCs in the wild. They were teased early on in D1 (e.g., the Queen's brother's introduction), and the existence of Hawthorne in D2 establishes that there are allies worth protecting outside the city walls. Just having more story missions where you see the effects of hostile forces on civilians would help. Imagine a settlement getting attacked as a public event!

I realize that the presence is other players while on patrol is the killer feature that should provide some of what I mean, but it doesn't raise the stakes. It lowers the odds you'll fail at what you're doing. Speaking of patrol, there really needs to be an easy seamless way to join players you meet on patrol. I'm sure this enhancement is or has been on a whiteboard somewhere in Bungie HQ.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread