A video of my first night's adventures... (Gaming)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, January 29, 2018, 08:38 (2278 days ago) @ stabbim
edited by Korny, Monday, January 29, 2018, 08:45

Is everyone still playing the beta? Looks like it got extended for 2 days.

Yeah. Even if you get in one night, you play solo, two-man, or four, you're probably going to have a fun time ranging from relaxing, to flat-out exciting.

I've been unable to use voice chat AND play with people at the same time for the past few days due to some controller issues, but I think I have that fixed now.

Last night I jumped into matchmaking for a two-man ship, and left my headset unplugged for a while. i used the fairly-serviceable text options (there should really be an option to give Cardinal directions) to communicate with my crewmate, and we were able to do a couple of runs before I decided to plug in.

Might see if I can get in on what's left of the beta. I usually don't care for PvP but this seems like it's done in a comical/low pressure way that I might be OK with.

There's a bit of an odd line there. Last night, the aforementioned teammate and I were attacked by a single-man ship (what was he thinking? Who knows!). I jumped on his ship during the fight, and stole his treasure chest before we sunk his ship. He must have taken it personally, because he came after us two more times (I'm getting real good with that cannon :P). After that, he somehow got a four-man ship to team up with him to come after us, triggering a chase that went on for about half an hour (we went all the way south into the redwaters, all the way to the East side of the map, then we circled around and headed west. No matter where we went, the two enemy ships kept pace, and slowly gained on us enough to have all four people on the large ship take endless pot-shots at us with their rifles (I was even looking for a hostile fort to get some heat off of us).

Once they finally caught up to us, they had four (five with the smaller ship) times the firepower, and we stood no chance. I had even considered strapping our lone keg of gunpowder to my back and jumping overboard to blast a hole in their ship, since we had no hope otherwise.
After they sunk us, it spawned us near the closest outpost, so we weren't exactly safe or free from them (remember that the first guy found us three times).
Griefing seems like it will be easy, since the big ships can easily keep up with the smaller ships, so if you get one after you, there's very little that you can do to avoid a watery grave. Hopefully they make the smaller ships slightly faster, because the balance is severely skewed at the moment. It was fun the first time, but I can imagine it getting very stressful.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread