Tomb Raider (2018) Review. *Spoilers* (Off-Topic)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, March 16, 2018, 22:15 (2233 days ago)

I just got back from seeing Tomb Raider (2018) and… I think I probably saw it so you don’t have to.

Ok, what do I mean by that? Is Tomb Raider a typical “they should never have made this” video game movie? No. Not even close. As a live action rendition of the 2013 video game, it was somewhere between “ok” and “all right.” It had several missteps, but ultimately, while it wasn’t something like “the video game movie that puts video game movies on the map” or whatever, it did give the Tomb Raider (2013) era property due respect and, unlike so many other movies based on established games or beloved animated series, it pretty much completely avoided embarrassing its source material.

So, what did Tomb Raider (2018) do right, and what did it do wrong?

What It Got Right:

What It Got Wrong:

Ultimately, Tomb Raider (2018) is not a great movie, but it is also not a terrible one. There are better options out there right now if you want to go to the theater. But, at the same time, it is not a cheesy, disrespectful rip-off like so many video game movies are. There are moments of cleverness, fun, and excellent acting. And there are moments where I felt they should have stuck closer to the 2013 game. The movie finishes a bit weaker than it starts, but at the end of the day there’s at least a chance that this thing gets a sequel. Because, at the very least, Alicia Vikander deserves another chance to portray Lara Croft.

Side Stuff:

1. There were a couple of bad reviews I saw over the last week that I wanted to call out. One from our own Cody Miller who said:

Also, for all the talk about female power and badassery, she was being saved by everyone else really often, and always crying.

I would say this is flat out false. As noted above, Lara is bested in the boxing ring by a fellow, friendly female fighter. The two appear almost equally matched except the other woman was just a good foot or two taller than Lara and won the match by having more weight and strength to throw around. Near the end of the movie Lara almost loses to the bad guy, but this is in the same way that Malcom Reynolds almost loses to the Operative in Serenity. A good, even fight where the bad guy almost wins but then the good guy (or girl in Lara’s case!) breaks free and strikes the winning blow.

Lara also gets impalled by a large splinter coming down through the trees similar to how she is injured in the 2013 game. And she is in some decent pain because of this for a while until her father is able to patch her wound. But… Lara also strangles and drowns the man hunting for her during this time, so she is hardly helpless and did not need to be saved by anyone.

Throughout the movie, just like throughout the two recent games, Lara is often at a disadvantage due to the numbers she faces or due to being physically smaller than her opponents. But in terms of tenacity, demeanor, intelligence, cleverness, and all that. Lara is more than an equal for any other character in the movie.

A few different reviews claiming that Lara magically healed too quickly after some of her injuries on the island, but I’m calling that completely false as well. After her biggest injuries the movie makes very sure to show her in pain for a significant amount of time and then takes the time to show her getting mended before she gets fully back in the action.

Sure, in real life, getting stabbed like Lara does would have any of us home in bed or the ICU resting for weeks... but its an action movie and it does as good a job as any at having the hero be injured for a time. It certainly did not deserved to be called out for this kind of thing.

2. There were one or two reviews online that made it an issue that this movie is a reboot of the two previous movies and it is a movie based on the 2013 game that is itself a reboot of sorts of the previous games in the Tomb Raider series.

To me, that’s backwards thinking. Tomb Raider (2013) is widely considered one of the most successful re-envisionings of a video game character in recent memory. It took a franchise that was all but dead and brought it back to life in spectacular fashion. And, while I’ve never seen the two previous Tomb Raider movies, they both struck me as perhaps a bit over-sexed, and overly silly. This movie, in contrast, follows in the 2013 game’s excellent portrayal of Lara Croft as a more down to earth, character character who is intelligent, resourceful, heroic, and physically capable.

So, to me, the idea that its a bad thing that Tomb Raider (2018) is a rebooted movie based on a rebooted game is downright silly. I see it as a major plus that this movie gave us a live action portrayal of one of the best female video game heroes around.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread