Tomb Raider (2018) Review. *Spoilers* (Off-Topic)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, March 17, 2018, 07:51 (2232 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Dude, it’s totally true about her always being saved and her crying:

Ren saves her from the punk kids.
Ren gets her out of the chain gang.
Her Dad saves her from bad guy what’s his name by making an explosion.
Ren digs her out of the tomb.

She kills the dude for the first time and starts crying about it.
She cries when she can’t shoot her dad (understandable)
She cries when bad guy has her beat in the tomb.

Anyway I’m surprised you didn’t mention the character motivations being totally wack. Like, Laura has no training or real interest in archeology, and is just dicking around at the start of the film. If she’s the type of person who’d be willing to risk it all to find her dad, you certainly don’t get that impression. The movie needed to start with her as a teenager, on expeditions with her father. That way we can see their relationship rather than be told about it in flashbacks. Dad goes off and leaves her. Now we go to present day where she’s found a lead to his wearabouts, and sets off to find him. The lead turns out bad, and it’s a dead end. She spent tons of money to get there and is now broke. NOW the film starts. Wouldn’t you buy that more?

Also, the bad guy was bad. Why didn’t he have a connection to them both? Why was he not the father’s prodige who screws him over to get a find? I was wondering why he was so keen on finding this tomb. It would make more sense if he had some kind of established hostility with the father. Maybe he screws the Dad over in the scene I mentioned above to give Laura a reason to hate him too.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread