Love letter to the Pro-pipe. (Destiny)

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Tuesday, June 19, 2018, 08:04 (2131 days ago) @ Oholiab

Can someone translate?

I’m just a filthy casual who only plays a Hunter and enters the crucible only when a quest line forces me to do so. But I want to understand!

Haha, "pro-pipe" is a holdover from the Reach days. There's a breed of one-shot, breach-loading grenade launchers that generally have either a blinding or concussive effect when you hit your target. They tend to hit pretty hard and have a pretty large blast radius. And you can bank them around corners. They're a great retreat weapon if you can goad someone into chasing you.

You can hold the trigger down and strategically release it to detonate when the round is near your target, allowing for a quick one-two punch in a lot of cases, by quickly swapping to a different weapon to finish off your dazed and softened target. You can also keep the trigger down and use the round as a trap, releasing when the enemy runs over it.

Orewing's Maul is the Iron Banner pro-pipe. Truthteller comes from Dead Orbit, and Flash and Thunder is an RNG drop, if I'm not mistaken. Fighting Lion is the exotic, which takes up an Energy slot instead of Heavy, which is super handy.

In PvE, they're usually best for blinding entire groups of adds, usually as a precursor to casting a super, or dazing more mobile enemies like Wizards so you can swap to something that will let you get crits on them.

There's a significant delayed-gratification feeling to getting kills with them, and particularly when you let the rounds pop at just the right time. I also suspect they have some of the strongest physics impulses of any weapon, but I have yet to put time into testing them.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread