Redrix's Claymore (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, July 09, 2018, 18:35 (2117 days ago)
edited by Cody Miller, Monday, July 09, 2018, 18:45

So after hundreds of competitive games, I finally got Redrix's Claymore.

[image]

Normally you know how I feel about rewards influencing play activities, but I have to say it was a pretty fun journey. I started completely sucking at Des2ny with a 0.7 KD/A, going to a 1.4 KD/A by the end. It was super fun to unlearn everything, and get good at Des2ny, which is decidedly a much different game in the crucible than its predecessor. Even without the reward, I'd have loved the journey.

Anyway about the gun. As a PvP gun, it's… well it's pretty weak to be honest.

On its own, Redrix's Claymore is a high impact slow firing pulse rifle. AKA the worst kind. It's completely outclassed by pretty much everything. Even forgetting about V-Wing and G-Lance, other legendary pulses will straight up beat you in a fight. It's got a fair amount of vertical recoil, a bit less than V-Wing. So… is that it? No.

The secret to the gun is the Desperado perk. If you reload while outlaw procs, the gun can then fire at max rate for the next 8 seconds, without losing impact. So imagine a Grasp of Malok that hits like a Messenger. It's borderline unfair. I say borderline because a lot has to happen for you to reap the benefits.

1. You must get a precision kill.
2. You must then reload.
3. You must find another enemy within 8 seconds.

If you start off playing behind your teammates as support rather than trying to win 1v1 gunfights, you can do okay and activate the perk somewhat often. However, you've usually taken damage after a gunfight… so half the time you aren't really even in a position to take on another enemy. Hunters have it made with the Wormhusk Crown though, since you can heal very quickly and try to get back in. But, in all honesty it's just not really a good all round gun. I'm a little disappointed that Bungie didn't make something that could generally compete with V-Wing or G-Lance, and be something good on its own. It's pretty specialized, and generally not reliable all round. It's more of a 'fun gun'.

In PvE though, the gun is a monster. You can get criticals all day long, and there's never a shortage of enemies around. It's kind of ironic that the competitive PvP reward is a really dominant gun in PvE.

You can also masterwork it!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread