Darker Narrative (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, July 11, 2018, 20:44 (2115 days ago) @ Avateur
edited by Cody Miller, Wednesday, July 11, 2018, 20:48

I like how it's "darker" as if there was much of a narrative to begin with to contrast. :P

That dude replying to Jessica in that thread that got her fired was absolutely correct in my opinion, and it is directly applicable to Destiny.

Her thread basically said that because of the fact that players create their own characters in RPGs and MMOs, you have to make them with only enough personality to simply function, because it will clash with how the players might see their characters otherwise. Thus, limited narrative in MMOs.

But the reply was on the money: you can give the player dialogue options. You can have your character act in whatever way your player desires. There's no clash if the other characters react to this and it changes relationships or branches the story in some way. The alternative is a tightly focused narrative with a character who is well defined.

The middle ground she advocates simply stinks in my opinion. You have the worst of everything.

Destiny went for the MMO create your character business, but also took the middle ground while still trying to have a tight linear story. So yeah, I'm a guy on the internet telling them how to do their jobs… but come on. I'm not wrong here.

Perhaps the smartest approach for Bungie given the conventions they've already set might be a Big Trouble Little China scenario, where your Guardian isn't actually the main character of the narrative, but just along for the ride in someone else's story.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread