Have you seen the recent Star Wars? *Spoilers abound* (Destiny)

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Thursday, July 12, 2018, 13:19 (2113 days ago) @ Korny

And the thing is, I'm amazed at how bad Bungie is at doing any one of these things for either protagonist, side characters, or villains, especially since it takes them ages to make anything for the game, so you'd think they'd make use of that time to flesh out the narrative, the characters, or the player's investment in the world.

Can't disagree here. I'm still scratching my head. This stuff HAS to get better.

I don't care about Uldren as a villain. I don't care about Cayde. They can't force me to invest in the story if I have never had a reason to invest in either those characters or my own, especially since there has always been zero relationship development between any of us. And now they're introducing a swarm of barons that they want me to care about hunting down as well?

Still feels largely like a distraction from anything driving the core of the narrative at this point. We're two games in and the only thread I care remotely about is the pyramid ships floating out past the edge of the Milky Way (assuming the Queen isn't going to return with something truly illuminating to say). I hope Forsaken turns that around.

They couldn't even get us invested in Osiris. They flanderized Vance, Ana Bray is dull as dirt, and even the Exo Stranger has been turned into a generic "genius scientist with attitude".

Don't forget Saint-14.

They're catching (deserved) flak for it, but I have yet to see anything that makes me believe they'll turn it around completely with Forsaken.

That said, this summer I've been having more fun with D2 than at any other point, and that's even without putting serious effort into Escalation Protocol. So I remain invested.

~m

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread