Great post. (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Saturday, September 15, 2018, 05:48 (2050 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I thought the Forsaken campaign did a pretty good job of telling you why you are doing something, but they didn't always do a good job of making you care. It's almost like they've lost the "beginner's mind" frame of reference narratively, and I have to wonder why the stellar lore has contributed to that. It's like they know the foundation is solid so they don't feel to need to show you enough of it in-game. If you don't dig into the lore, the story feels a bit hollow.

One big interesting issue is that of the player knowing story their character does not. Does it break things to see Uldren do things our character cannot see? An interesting question that I don't know the answer to. But just note Naughty Dog, the kings of story right now, don't ever show you something your character can't also experience.

Excellent point that explains why my admiration of the Forsaken cutscenes is qualified. POV is crucial. 343 forgot this years ago, and now Bungie has.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread