Codes (Destiny)

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Tuesday, October 01, 2013, 15:38 (3858 days ago) @ Zero

Situations like these makes me wonder if, like the Gamescon codes, the beta codes are not single use as well.

Uh, no. The Beta codes will most certainly be single-use. One pre-order = one Beta. Participating in the Beta is an incentive to pre-order! I'll post my code after I redeem it to let you check if they are in fact unique. :) Update: See Achronos' post about the Beta codes being unique.

Also, for what it's worth, those beta codes have at least 101,559,960,000,000 (101 trillion) unique combinations (assuming 26 chars + 10 numerals, and I don't know if symbols are allowed). If they wanted non-unique codes, they would have used something… shorter.

My guess is that Destiny is going to have wide-ranging support for these codes. Imagine buying a cool Destiny figurine that has some badass cloak and a code in the box. Type the code into Bungie.net and it gives you that cloak artwork in-game. I wonder how long the Gamescom codes will be active; I could see them being turned off after the Beta, or maybe they'll always work and anyone who wants to use them can. Giving away a few free codes is an excellent way to get people interested in the system and to see how it works without having to buy-in first.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread