Subnautica (Gaming)

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Wednesday, December 26, 2018, 06:05 (1948 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Also early in the year, I picked up Subnautica on Xbox. At the end of the day, it's just a really compelling survival game. It's immediately novel, in that you're underwater, which is a good twist on the typical survival stuff. But what really makes this game stand out is that it's all hand-crafted (no procedural generation here), and it actually has an interesting story thread to follow (while still allowing you to just explore and build a cool base). Some neat twists and surprises await in the deeps.

Subnautica reached final release on Xbox and achievements are now enabled, so I just started another playthrough. The surprises won't be surprises anymore but the game is still a blast. I love how scanning stuff in the world gives you more information about those things while also giving your clues to the story. Everything is so consistent. I also love how the tech tree generally opens up new areas of the game in such a natural way. I also love how a lot fo the creatures in the game seem dangerous at first (probably because they are so alien) but as you learn more about them and how to avoid/deal them they just become a normal part of the world. This is a survival game done right.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread