Question (Destiny)

by squidnh3, Monday, January 28, 2019, 20:10 (1915 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I’d guess Mara didn’t come to apologize for being first or making those fundamental universe creating decisions she made. That was “all part of the plan” to quote Eris Morn. But, I do see Mara being sorry for subjecting Ali’s Li to everything she had to endure. Think of it this way: If Mara had endured fault for the war and fault for stripping the Awoken of their godhood herself, would she have apologized to Ali’s Li or anyone else? I don’t think so.

I'm not convinced the nature of the Distributary was an elaborate plan to begin with, especially since Mara didn't know what would happen as she dove into the black hole. Remember, the last feeling she has directly before the attack was guilt at leaving humanity behind, so of course when she creates the universe she rejects godhood to leave open the opportunity to return (I feel pretty strongly that the part of Ectasiate I that is in parentheses is intended to be Mara's, and that Alis never feels as though she actually made the choice that is so controversial). Then, she feels guilty about that action and instead of owning it transfers it Alis Li, who just so happens to be about the only thing close to an authority figure Mara has ever known.

Given that information, and the nature of Alis Li's reaction (she says Mara is worse than the Darkness!), it makes more sense to me that this is the action of a guilty soul asking for penance for an ultimate crime. Mara has a deeply selfish streak, and confession to the person most personally affected by her crime fits with that trait.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread