It's a terrible trailer. (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, February 18, 2019, 09:50 (1893 days ago) @ Korny

It's a trailer for a movie I'd totally watch, but one which doesn't exist.

It's pretty, but it lacks the character of his Halo stuff, I think.

It's funny that they were pitching it as a short "story", then changed it to "trailer" right away. Because a "story" it is not.
It reminded me much more of the "Hero of Time" trailer that IGN made for April Fools, showing random scenes with greatly disconnected dialogue, ostensibly to sell an emotion or feel for the world, but mainly coming off as noise and an excuse for the visuals:

In IGN's case, that was kind of the joke, because that's all they likely thought out. For Anthem... It feels like a bad fan trailer with a mid-tier budget. I generally love Blomkamp's visual style and worlds, but this felt little like something he'd make, and it fails as a "story", and more of a collection of overused tropes and made-for-tv dialogue. All that was missing was "You are the chosen one!".

Want a trailer that tells a story, while also highlighting visuals, emotion, and which hooks you into a game world? Watch this absolutely fantastic trailer for Metro: Exodus:

I'm too much of a wimp to ever play an Metro game, but I watched a digital foundry video focusing on the visuals--it has the best video game graphics that I've ever seen.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread