Tropes galore! (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Monday, February 18, 2019, 10:54 (1865 days ago) @ ManKitten

Mark my words. Nobody will be playing Anthem 1 month after release.

I certainly won't be.

I played a bit over four hours in the ten hour trial I have access to. I wanted to give it a fair shake after the poor showing in the demo. I've uninstalled it already.

It's just a mess. It still runs like crap on the One X, the story is even more bland than the on in Mass Effect Andromeda, the characters even more boring. The world is gorgeous--well, it would be, if you could actually see it through the awful motion blur. If your turn that motion blur off, if becomes a stuttering, screen-tearing mess.

The combat is actually pretty fun, on a basic level. The powers of the Storm Javelin are honestly joyful to use, and the mobility is really cool and adds a new layer to combat and positioning. But the encounters are all dull as dirt and not really challenging, and don't make using those powers and mobility necessary or interesting in any way. If you thought Destiny had bullet sponge enemies, it's nothing compared to Anthem, and, near as I can tell, that's the only thing that makes this game difficult. None of the enemies have any interesting behavior, and they all seem like reskins of each other--none of the enemy factions do anything different from any other enemy faction.

The whole time I was playing, I just wished I was playing Mass Effect instead. So that's what I did--I uninstalled Anthem and reinstalled Andromeda (and am considering another run through of the whole series from the beginning).

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread