Team Buffs: Why they aren't so great. Why aren't they? (Destiny)

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Tuesday, March 19, 2019, 09:59 (1855 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

I still love Hunter smoke grenades. Here, let me throw this and make you invisible for a bit.

Indeed. And the team-support Dawnblade can throw overshields at teammates in a similar way, though I almost never saw anyone use it.

In general, though, I think it's a good point. Destiny does seem to have a penchant for making teams stay in close proximity, despite that being a generally bad idea a lot of the time, outside of certain platforms in raids. I mean, how many times have you been killed by splash damage from an enemy who was targeting a teammate? It's happened to me more times than I could count.

Ah, both the Hunter Smoke and the new Dawnblade ability are good calls. Though I too have only seen maybe one person ever using the latter in the wild.

The void and solar titans have abilities that buff teammates.
Solar: Kills with Solar abilities buff reload speed (and something else)
Void: Melee kills give team mates a temporary shield buff.

The problem with these is that they rarely happen in PvP and their range is so short that you have to be standing shoulder to shoulder for it to work. Even in PvE it doesn't happen very often!

I guess that's kind of my point. They need to be significant enough (or visible enough) that players are aware of them and want to leverage them. Requiring your team to be in close proximity is certainly a major drawback, but if some of them would linger like the buff from the Well of Light in Gambit Prime, that would be nice.

I guess at the moment I'm mainly thinking of the bridge encounter in Reckoning Tier 2. That's a scenario that forces the team into close proximity, but I'm not seeing anyone take advantage of the various buffs to any significant effect. I mean, even a couple Warlocks running Aeon gloves would mean a rain of grenades, right?

Maybe we should start spitballing our own team-buffing exotics.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread