They made the best commentary about Zelda that I've read (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, April 03, 2019, 11:04 (1848 days ago) @ kidtsunami

I’m interested in opinions as well. But when people can’t or won’t distinguish between their own opinions and facts, that tells me something about their thinking. Specifically, they are usually haven’t thought things through properly. Or better said, they CAN’T think things through clearly, because they can’t tell the difference between their own opinions and facts.

Is it really that hard? Here's how to tell if something is someone's opinion:

Is it a referential statement to an event that actually occurred? Is it in quotation marks? If the answer to both is no, it's their opinion. As far as I could tell, there were few facts at all in Saving Zelda save for release dates and things like that.

Late in the original Zelda’s second quest, I got stuck.

Fact.

That is what I’m claiming: that modern Zeldas are broken at their core.

Opinion.

Why is this only clear to me?

Yeah I was going to ask, where did we get confused about stated fact vs opinion? It sounds like they make some hardcore value judgements, but ultimately they're stated as opinion and not as a fact. You just think they have a bad opinion, and that's like your opinion man.

I have no problem with his opinions. But if you’re going to call an article “Saving Zelda”, shouldn’t you at least justify the claim that Zelda needs saving? As far as the writer is concerned, Zelda needs saving because he doesn’t like it anymore, and his opinion is all that matters. If that isn’t a sign of self-absorbed thinking, I don’t know what is.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread