My top concern (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, April 26, 2019, 12:38 (1798 days ago) @ squidnh3

So my concern is that in changing the archetype, they might change the characteristics that make Luna’s feel so crisp and snappy.

Supposedly the major difference between the 180 rpm handcannons and the 140/150s (not sure about the 110s) is that the 140/150s have a bloom mechanic on console. Meaning that the faster you fire, the larger the bullet cone gets. On PC, this bloom is removed, so my understanding is that the 140/150s (includes Ace of Spades) compete with Luna's and there's a larger variety of handcannons used.

I continue to find it interesting that the bloom mechanic is a hill Bungie has been willing to die on for the past 9 years (starting with Halo: Reach). It has never really been well received by the community, so Bungie must feel very strongly that it serves some important purpose. I can sort of see an argument that it's a more "elegant" way of balancing weapon range zones than damage dropoff, but Bungie is currently using that mechanic too. I'd love to see Bungie put together something that explains their philosophy behind these mechanics. Their communication on this level has been mostly platitudes recently.

As someone on Reddit pointed out, it’s especially perplexing given the fact that Bungie has a test-group if players who get to play a version of the game without Bloom: PC players. Over on PC, neither Luna’s or Not Forgotten are especially dominant. All the commentary I’ve ever seen that compares the PC to console versions of the game report that the guns feel better on PC, largely due to lack of bloom.

So yeah, it does seem like a strange approach to the whole issue.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread