To clarify (and rant, I guess): (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, May 14, 2019, 09:28 (1814 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by Kermit, Tuesday, May 14, 2019, 09:37

Just to be clear, Kermit, I also have no problems beating my head against a wall, if we're just trying to figure something out. My problem is the constant requirement to get more powerful for every new encounter.

I wasn't quoting you re: beating my head against the wall. That's a common complaint.

How long did we fight that ogre in Last Wish, only to knock it out within the first try or two when we came back and everyone had gained 10 power levels?

That's what I'm talking about. The need to drag raids out over weeks with multiple interruptions to power up is the problem. The banging my head against the wall is really in reference to fighting a battle that would be very, very difficult to win due to a power detriment. It just feels pointless, and, unlike whoever it was around here that likes being underpowered--I don't. I think it sucks. It's the least fun thing to do in Destiny, as far as I'm concerned.

I understand the appeal of the challenge, and I like adapting, changing positions, and so on, but I get you. We could probably do a better job of weighing the size of the challenge and whether to proceed vs. the thrill of beating an encounter by the skin of our teeth.

I forgot to mention another bit in my ideal scenario: ideally the group would stay blind for for a week or two and then start the raid already leveled to be able to beat several encounters. (I think that's what the elect, um, I mean, the admins do.) That would alleviate burn out due to raidus interruptus. Scheduling longer blocks of time to play helps, too, (say three hours minimum) and the last few times that's been like pulling teeth. I always think about Vault of Glass. We didn't raid until a few weeks after it became available. Nobody knew anything. I remember not even thinking raiding would be an activity I could do. Beorn assigned teams. We played a a long time on Friday, a good chunk Saturday, and Sunday, and then beat it. I don't know if we got lucky and no one on my team had a life then, but I rememeber playing for hours in the afternoon, taking a break, and then playing into the night. It was amazing, and I've been chasing that experience ever since.

I'll be really honest right now, as I've been thinking about this for a lot of the day. It's honestly questionable that I'll be at 700 by the time the new season rolls around. I can just touch 680 right now. It wouldn't really take that much to get there. I intended to get some Powerful Engrams tonight. But . . . well, the last thing I want to do right now is fire up Destiny and run a Nightfall or do three strikes, or do a Flashpoint.

I hear you. I've been thinking of chucking my consoles and then I'd roam the earth like Kung Fu. I didn't play at all for a month. Then I raided for a few weeks. This past week I decided I'd do some other stuff. I went from low 660s to 690.

Maybe I'm just in a bad mood, maybe I'll jump on tomorrow and the rest of the week and knock everything out and have a blast.

Totally allowed. I'll be jumping in to pick up some low-hanging engrams. If you see me, ping me.

Or maybe I won't, I don't know.

No judgment from me.

That's where I'm at right now--I can't even fully commit to getting ready for the raid, much less sticking it out for multiple weeks through a blind run.

It sucks--I really want to. But the though of grinding out another 20 power levels over the next few weeks is honestly just exhausting to thinking about. At this exact moment, it doesn't sound like any fun at all. And I told myself a long time ago that if playing Destiny wasn't fun, I wouldn't do it.

I don't mean to be a downer, I've just been thinking about this all day, and I wanted to share my feelings. I've made almost this exact post a few times recently--I'll refrain from doing it again and dragging this place down. I'm just a little sad that I don't want to engage with any of this stuff anymore. I desperately hope Bungie figures something out to make it possible to just pick up and play this game after a hiatus, but I seriously doubt that will ever happen at this point.

Everything you've said is perfectly clear and understandable. I'm wrestling with the same issues. I don't know if the lifestyle I want includes a lifestyle game.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread