Regarding the Gambit portion of the Lumina quest (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, July 03, 2019, 10:09 (1759 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

I noticed this as well when we were doing the Hush quest. You and I using Le Monarque often killed invaders before they got any of our team, and it was usually just the two of us actively hunting the invader.

I feel like too many people still see the invader as too intimidating and just want to run and hide. That’s fine if you have a bunch of motes and the rest of the team backs you up, but when the whole team scatters and hides, you’re just allowing the Invader to set the terms and pick you off one by one.

My favorite thing to do when Gambit Prime first came out was bum rush the invader with Acrius because if you got close enough it easily one shot them. So I totally agree with you, most of the time the invader doesn't see it coming when you go on the offensive.

If I had to boil it down to 1 specific trait that makes or breaks a team's chances in Gambit, I'd say its all about Foresight.

Players and teams that understand the structure and flow of the match will usually win over teams made up of players who are more single-minded and operating through tunnel vision. I almost made a video last week called "How to lose a Gambit match in the first 2 minutes". I started the match by grabbing a quick 10 motes, rushed to the bank, immediately went to the next wave of ads who were just spawning, grabbed another 5, ran back to the bank and deposited, then grabbed the heavy ammo which had just spawned. I looked up and saw my teammate, carrying 10 motes, heading towards me. I thought "Perfect timing... he'll bank, I'll invade with the heavy ammo and catch the enemy team holding a whole bunch of motes.". It was like clockwork. But my teammate didn't bank. He ran straight past the bank, towards the enemy spawn. My other teammates were picking up motes as well, but none of them banked. They cleared up that wave, then went straight to the next enemy spawn point, oblivious to the fact that the other team was now banking their motes, leaving me to struggle with 2 large and 1 medium blocker by myself. My teammates carried on until the other team sent over an invader, who managed to score 2 kills, costing us almost 30 motes. We never recovered.

More on topic, being specifically aware of when the enemy team is going to invade, and where the invader is likely to come from, makes a huge difference. There aren't that many invader spawn points on any of the gambit maps... so getting in place to cover those angles is usually quite manageable. You just need those few seconds to get into position and cover your sight lines.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread