I was definitely overthinking this yesterday. (Destiny)

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, July 03, 2019, 12:59 (1730 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Something struck me about this portion of the quest. At face value, killing an invader before they score any invasion kills sounds intimidating, and a lot of players are less than thrilled about it. But I think its actually a great little training exercise for Gambit players.

I completed the majority of the Lumina quest with an LFG group yesterday. By the time we reached the Invader Kill requirement, there were only 3 of us left in the group. So we jumped into Gambit to see if we could coordinate and get it done quickly. The thing that jumped out at me right away is that shutting down an invader is actually quite easy when all or even just most of your team prioritizes it. Our Blueberry was often running around doing his own thing, but between the 3 of us, we were all able to get our shutdowns in a single match, with a couple of us dong it multiple times before the end of the game. We weren't going up against a weak team, either. They put up a good fight, and managed to get 1 or 2 invasion kills on a couple occasions. But overall, they couldn't overcome the 3 of us prioritizing our loadouts, positioning and sight lines so as to be ready for an invader the instant they came through.

I didn't read the requirement carefully yesterday; for some reason, I thought it was tougher than it was. When I realized that to finish the quest step, all you needed to do was kill a single invader one time before he did any damage to your team (well, and do it fast)... it became a LOT easier, psychologically.

I jumped on for a single game this morning, playing with randoms, and finished it. (For what it's worth, I prioritized my loadout for invader kills, but ended up finishing the quest step with a nova bomb.) Killing invaders quickly isn't particularly hard, and you only have to do it once.

Side note: looks like the last step (Xol strike, destroy all crystals) is bugged. I decided to give that a shot after the gambit match, and my first game spawned me in to a game in progress... in fact, a game that was over. I spawned behind the last locked door (which was locked) while the dialogue made it clear that as I was spawning, my teammates were collecting loot from the ending chest. I didn't even get to go into the final space. I requeued, started a new strike, killed the crystals in the first outside area, headed inside, shot one crystal, and the gun dropped. I have no clue how the math was done, just that I didn't come CLOSE to destroying all the crystals, and as far as I can tell, neither did my teammates.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread