Real time review of this video Part 3 (Destiny)

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Tuesday, July 09, 2019, 09:00 (1724 days ago) @ narcogen
edited by narcogen, Tuesday, July 09, 2019, 09:31

Cut to interview footage of CJ Cowan, no lower third, repeating almost the same phrase. It's so close it feels very redundant, and again, the removal of names other than the ones everyone already knows seems deliberate.

21 minutes in.

Now we're talking about Epsilon leaks. If you've got 45 minutes to do the history of Bungie, not sure this rates a mention, really. I know the author doesn't really have a thesis beyond "chronological history of Bungie" but it really does seem like we're just going down a checklist of "what footage do I have access to".

Halo 3 a success "despite leaks" that spoiled the ending. Not really sure why anyone would have expected the ending being spoiled to have negatively affected sales.

OK, now we're on to ODST subbing in for Chronicles as the 2nd contractual game for MS, and now Cowan gets a lower third, but it's one from the footage. It feels like it got in there just because it happens to be in the source footage, and watching this it feels like it would help to contextualize this footage if I already knew who Cowan was.

Ok, I've never been a fan of prerendered, non-engine trailers for Bungie games, but using the existence of the ODST trailer as an indication that "something was wrong with the project" seems wrong to me. Only justification for this seems to be the $60 price tag. No mention of the price drop.

The reuse of chapter titles from other vidocs/Bungie games has gotten silly, and at least once they're on screen with other titles, which looks awkward. We've already re-used

Feet First Into Hell
A Brave New World
Once More, With Feeling

and it's really lazy.

Refers to the Covenant as a faction in one part of a sentence, and then as a race in the 2nd. No mention of Elites or Sangheili. Immediately switches to talking about the engine... ? and feature checklists.

Mention of the marketing cost for Halo 3. There's been hardly any discussion of the business side to this point-- I think sales figures were mentioned for ODS (of all things) and other titles as well, but it is weird that this one fact is mentioned in isolation, both mentioned in the VO and an on-screen title.

30 minutes in.

Gnop, ODS, Minotaur, Marathon, Marathon 2, Marathon Infinity, Myth 1 &2: 9 minutes (~1 per entry, not equally distributed)

Marathon as a series hardly gets a mention, Gnop/ODS get more screen time, disproportionate amount of Myth coverage is about the installer bug, almost no mention of the multiplayer lobby system that would give rise to lobbies in Halo and form the foundation of Xbox Live's entire system

Oni, Halo 1, 2, 3, ODST, Reach: 20 minutes (~3 min per entry, also not equally distributed)

There's now 15 minutes remaining for D1/D2, which would include:

Vanilla D1, Dark Below, House of Wolves, Taken King, Rise of Iron
Vanilla D2, Curse of Osiris, Warmind, Forsaken

That would work out to ~2 min per entry, but I'm guessing he'll gloss over some of the smaller expansions.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread