Luna's Howl quest advice (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, November 07, 2019, 11:14 (1631 days ago) @ squidnh3

I used Duke and Trust. Duke is a bit of an acquired taste, but I like it because the range falloff on handcannons isn't as painful on the high impact ones.

If you are coming from pulse rifles, the closer effective range band of handcannons will be the hardest adjustment. Pinging enemies from a distance isn't nearly as effective, so you'll have to focus more on flanking, while shotgunners become more dangerous.

For me, the recent hand cannon changes (overall range reduction, as well as a reduction in the overall variance in range between different hand cannons) has made stability and ease of use far more important on hand cannons. There used to be a big tradeoff, where the more stable hand cannons (mostly the 180rpm archetypes, such as Service Revolver or Trust) had far less range than the harder hitting 150rpm or 140 rpm hand cannons like Austringer, Spare Rations, or Ace of Spades. The 140s and 150s could potentially kill faster, and from much further away, but they were way tougher to aim consistently because they had such huge recoil.

But now that the range has been so drastically equalized between them all, it all comes down to whichever ones you find allow you to hit headshots quickly and consistently. Because hand cannons have less overall range than they used to, they live in a bit of a tight niche in the sandbox. Get a little too far away, and you'll get melted by Pulse and Scout rifles. But by moving closer, you're getting dangerously close to shotgun rusher/fusion rifle range (some fusion rifles have better effective range than most hand cannons). What this means in practice is that in order to reliably get hand cannon kills, you need to be able to fire them accurately and quickly. Headshots are super important.

So I would suggest experimenting with a few to see which ones feel the best in your hands. Others in this thread have already made great suggestions for specific guns (Trust, Service Revolver, Crimson, Ace of Spades, Austringer, or Spare Rations would be my top suggestions, especially if you get a roll that maximizes stability). But sometimes these things don't work out in practice the way they look on paper. Trust is a great gun, and it works well for a lot of people, but I just can't get kills with it. So definitely try rotating through a few, and see what clicks for you.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread