Generalized Rambling Death Stranding Response (Gaming)

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, November 19, 2019, 21:33 (1618 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Alright, so instead of just quoting everything, and responding to each in turn I'm just going to make a generalized, probably rambling, response. Disclaimer: I do not have a PS4, 3, or 2. I have never played any Metal Gear, or really any game by Hideo Kojima. That said, big as he is, ya bump into a thing or two. And yes, I do realize I have a super mega backlog of games I simply MUST play. Maybe I'll get a PS5, who knows.

Anywho, to what I observe, which are mostly just scattered bits from the wind, Death Stranding is a game that was made with the meanings first, design second. Hideo Kojima tends to have implied meanings in his work, but since he's his own man now, a man with a known name, he can design up whatever game he wants (or Movie, if such does pan out). There is no Konami Stuffed shirt he has to explain to. Thus this game, this Death Stranding, is pure Kojima. Skull mask and EVERYTHING! With Kojima, the message was more important than the game play, because ART! that's why (to be blunt). He asked himself "what do I want to say" and figured out a way to say it through the game-play. It's not about MONEY it's about sending a message. Also... he built on top the Dark Souls mechanic, which hey, is a cool mechanic. It's like a half way point in the "live game" thing. Not quite Destiny, but not quite an old school closed instance either. It's fun. Or so I hear. I've not played Dark Souls either.

lawl.

How do you pitch a game where the gameplay is essentially - from my distant distant observation - FedEx2:Phantasm Boogaloo - THE GAME! Like, no WONDER there was so little talk about WHAT this game was about, how do you SELL that!? The only reason this game got made and sold was because;

A) Hideo Flipp'n Kojima

&

B) Confusion.

Like seriously, the game is so Weird in casual observation that I would not be surprised that there were some sales simply from an urge to find out "What the Matix was" if you will. What's up with the Baby in the Jar? What is all the Black goop? What in the world is a "Death Stranding"?! RHETORICAL!

This is why It's not like any other game. Why it’s unlike anything you may have ever played before. It wasn't built like any other game. I mean... it WAS, but with some key drastic differences. If Necessity is the Mother of Invention, than feeling like you have No Mouth and Wanting to Scream is the Father of Creativity. A "smartphone that is a literally a set of handcuffs". Ya don't say! Sounds like a Kojima game to me.

Side note: This is why I can hardly watch any Hayao Miyazaki movies either. That man is in SO much pain. All the time. Every time he says he's going to retire, I gotta shake my head. Not until the mans fingers snap off, and even then. I know a brilliant madness when I see it, and that... is going way off topic...

... ok... ramble done. :P

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread