Life is Strange 2 (Gaming)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, December 10, 2019, 10:11 (1570 days ago) @ narcogen
edited by Cody Miller, Tuesday, December 10, 2019, 10:18

Remember when I said Life is Strange was good, but dropped the ball on choice?

After finishing, I think 2 is the opposite. It's not BAD, don't get me wrong, but it's not nearly as engaging story wise as the first. However, your choices mattered much more in terms of the ending.

It's almost as if the goals of telling a story with fully realized characters is diametrically opposed to the goal of allowing maximum player agency

Maybe. I’m not necessarily convinced it is yet, but I definitely see the problem.

Just want to point out that I didn't say "opposed to the goal of making a good game", but specifically "maximizing player agency".

I understand.

But I think it can be done if multiple narratives are written such that any type of trait the player assigns the main character through their decisions is incorporated thematically. You basically have to write a bunch of stories: what if the main character is an asshole? What if they are an asshole who stops being an asshole? What if they like so and so? What if they are cowardly? Etc. And they all have to be thematically appropriate to those choices.

A tough task but not impossible.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread