Life is Strange 2 (Gaming)

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, December 10, 2019, 12:55 (1598 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Remember when I said Life is Strange was good, but dropped the ball on choice?

After finishing, I think 2 is the opposite. It's not BAD, don't get me wrong, but it's not nearly as engaging story wise as the first. However, your choices mattered much more in terms of the ending.

It's almost as if the goals of telling a story with fully realized characters is diametrically opposed to the goal of allowing maximum player agency

Maybe. I’m not necessarily convinced it is yet, but I definitely see the problem.

Just want to point out that I didn't say "opposed to the goal of making a good game", but specifically "maximizing player agency".

I understand.

But I think it can be done if multiple narratives are written such that any type of trait the player assigns the main character through their decisions is incorporated thematically. You basically have to write a bunch of stories: what if the main character is an asshole? What if they are an asshole who stops being an asshole? What if they like so and so? What if they are cowardly? Etc. And they all have to be thematically appropriate to those choices.

A tough task but not impossible.

You must be joking. With more than a handful of options, this task becomes ridiculously large - Choose Your Own Adventure has never been particularly interesting, because you're STILL locked into a small subset of possible paths, but it PRETENDS to give you more agency. I'd rather the environment be up-front about my limits.

Short game + large budget.

Sounds like fun. /s

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread