Alternate Opinion (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Friday, December 13, 2019, 19:05 (1596 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Really? It gains them nothing?

It gains them a massive audience who loves Destiny but might not buy a book for a countless number of reasons. It gives them a way to tell cool stories that would otherwise not exist.

I’m talking creatively.

And no it doesn’t. The stories could exist… as a novel. Or as told decently in a game. You lose a ton by going halfsies.

You gain a whole lot, too.

Creatively, the folks at Bungie (or contractors, however it works now) get to write cool short stories that they otherwise wouldn't get to, and they get an automatic audience of millions of players.

How much would it cost for Bungie to publish a novel, versus how much it costs to put these stories into the game?

I also want to point out that these stories are told decently in the game . . . in the form of short stories that you can read. Don't mistake my frustration with the presentation of the story of our Guardian (and everything surrounding them) as any issue with the storytelling of the lore books. The lore books are fantastic, and the game would be diminished without their presence. The game would also be far better if the core narrative of our Guardian was stronger in both presentation and writing.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread