I'm excited about this. (Gaming)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, March 09, 2020, 13:54 (1509 days ago) @ Kermit

I hope it follows the narrative very closely (including saving events in the DLC until later). This does seem like the optimal outcome for an adaptation--or at least the most likely alignment of talent and backing such that it's not ruined. Looking forward to my non-gamer friends experiencing this (I've tried to convert a few into gamers so that they could, and they usually floundered a few hours in).

Following the narrative closely I feel would be an adaptational mistake. To succeed in my opinion, it has to tell a different story, or be a prequel or a sequel.

The game is already using film language plus so much more to tell its story, and is very effective at doing so. To just adapt that is dangerous given you would lose a lot simply by switching media.

Remember what Tim Rogers said:

I’ve written before that part of what I like about videogame design as a dramatic instrument is their ability to put us a hundred percent into the moments editors would leave out of a film.

And film editors would cut a lot out of Last of Us.

I don't think it's any coincidence that the best video game movies are the ones that don't just try to retell the game's story.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread