I'm excited about this. (Gaming)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, March 10, 2020, 12:00 (1507 days ago) @ cheapLEY

My point is that it would have to be a bigger hit than Game of Thrones to reach more people on TV than it did as a game. And let’s be honest, it’s not going to be bigger than Game of Thrones.

What? No it doesn’t. That doesn’t make any sense at all. You’re assuming that if it doesn’t have more than 17 million viewers, that all those people would have played the game already. Just looking at numbers means next to nothing.

It’s like assuming that every person who saw The Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter already read the books (only it’s an even sillier assumption, because the cost of entry is so much more for video games).

Games are not a slum of storytelling anymore.

No one is arguing that. There’s still a massive number of people that don’t play games but do watch TV and movies.

Right. Maybe everyone in Cody's social circle is a gamer and specifically a Playstation gamer, but in my world I have a large number of friends who I know would be impressed by the acting and storytelling yet they could not experience it.

More people is better. Good stories getting more exposure is better. The fact that the numbers of viewers will or won't exceed the number of gamers who are already fans is irrelevant. A significant number of people will have access to it who did not have access before. I don't know what's bad about that.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread