yeah, I feel that (Gaming)

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Thursday, July 23, 2020, 11:37 (1344 days ago) @ Kermit

Why can't 343 make a game with a story that doesn't require you to read EU shit or play crappy spin off games? Did they not learn from Halo 5?

Also it seems like all the 343 Halo stuff is so… serious.

On the latter point I completely agree with Cody. This might be my most critical post of 343 ever. It's not just humor that Bungie excelled in delivering. 343's recruiting of Conan and Andy for Halo 4 is kind of emblematic of 343's "let's check off this box" approach to development. Bungie's Halo had something that most games today still don't have. Part of what made the game world feel like a real place was the personality of the NPCs, and how they reacted realistically (and often humorously) to what was happening in a sandbox where any of a number of things could happen. All the work that went into semi-random dialogue delivery paid enormous dividends.

There was something inherently playful about Halo NPCs that hasn't really been captured since 3 (Reach was pretty grim).

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread