So... Ender's Game *OT* (Off-Topic)

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Tuesday, November 05, 2013, 16:01 (3824 days ago) @ breitzen

I definitely understand where your coming from. I'm someone who can disconnect a movie from a book it's based on and can view them as two separate things. Not a lot of people can (or even want) to do that.

The movie certainly captured the spirit of the book, it's just not as deep and personal. It missed the mark on a couple of things but certainly was a "fun" science fiction movie to spend my Friday evening watching!

Still for you, yeah I'd probably hold off; it's like I wish I had never seen Eragon. Not that it ruined the book, in fact it made me appreciate the book more. But it was just a horrible waste of my time. lol

I can handle a lot of adaptions, and honestly, I usually prefer to them be very different than their inspiration. Blade Runner has almost nothing in common with Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep yet they're about the same thing. It's lovely. Complimentary. Lord of the Rings changes stuff sometimes and omits a lot, but it still captures the spirit and themes of the books while acting as a gallery of beautiful art I can lose myself in. I guess it's where I see the need for the movie to exist. The Dark Knight Trilogy felt like it needed to exist. The character of Batman screamed for a serious, realistic, subtle take. With Ender's Game... I just felt so... satisfied after finishing it. It didn't leave me craving more, and that's a compliment. :)

As for the other books, I really enjoyed them. They're different style and thematically, but it was great to see Ender try and fix what he's done.

I will say Speaker For the Dead has started to pique my interest, especially because I loved the epilogue to Ender's Game. Perhaps I'll get around to reading some of the sequels some day when I get through some of my backlog. :) If nothing else, I'm very happy the sequels exist just to have given John Harris so many canvases to illustrate!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread