So... Ender's Game *OT* (Off-Topic)

by Quirel, Friday, November 08, 2013, 13:11 (3793 days ago) @ Leviathan

Mr. Quirel, I have planned out a number of space combat scenes for my comic, Mayflower, and Ender's Game was definitely a seed that led me to depicting them in near-realism (while still making it exciting).

I often think of you or Stephen Loftus and hope it would do your wants justice.

I just squee'd so hard, I think I broke something.

I don't know why film has never realized how unique, terrifying and exhilarating a vision of real space combat could be. Outside, there's no sound of course, the silence expressing the vast void and bringing solemnity to the actions, but inside, you'd be jumping in to hear the contrast of noise inside the cockpits: comm chatter, lock-on alerts, dialogue, and perhaps the rattle of a damaged ship.

I think that some tropes from submarine movies might be borrowed.
There's no windows because, well, what are you going to see? Ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion? Sure, they're the only stars in the sky that are twinkling.
And when the crew does speak during combat, it's in hushed whispers. Battles are drawn out and tense. The exciting, frantic parts are short-lived. =)

All this while you see the movements of the players unfold in three unnervingly equal dimensions. I can perfectly see a view from behind the pilot's shoulder as he pushes forward the joystick and Jupiter and the stars go reeling upwards in the vein of a roller coaster fall. Small ships act as sentient missiles, motherships are nowhere near on top of each other. One's pointing this way, one's pointing that way. It's less about dogfights and more about arcing lights moving purposefully and flexibly, like skaters dancing on ice while they perform calculus... Shit, I'm excited, I need to go make this.

Do it.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread