We're all Swift fans here right? (Non-Destiny related.) (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, December 03, 2020, 10:50 (1211 days ago) @ cheapLEY

It feels silly to be invested in the struggle between millionaires, but this is extra delicious. She’s been blocking the licensing if her back catalogue to fuck Scooter Braun as much as possible, so it’s great to see her use her new recording of her old music like this.

This is one fight where I have no problem rooting for the millionaire pop princess. The music industry might be even worse than Hollywood when it comes to the levels of corruption and exploitation that fuel the entire thing. Artists are used up and tossed aside like pieces of trash as a matter of course. And while actors can often find some level of solidarity together within their industry (it’s practically impossible to be an actor without meeting, collaborating, and developing relationships with other actors), musicians are kept further away from each other the more successful they become. It’s not a coincidence that so few bands make it to superstar status anymore. Bands often become something not unlike a family. Even if the internal workings of the group are full of conflict and drama, they’ll often close ranks and unify when faced with any kind of external threat (such as a manipulative manager or a label trying to push an exploitative contract). Labels would much rather put their money behind an individual who they can isolate, control, and grind into the ground while they milk them for everything they’ve got. That’s the other problem with bands. It’s far tougher to keep a whole group satisfied, so a band that’s getting pushed around is far more likely to have one or more members say “fuck this, I’m gone”, and then the label has lost their golden goose. A single pop star is far easier to prop up, even if their life is falling apart around them.

So I’m happy to cheer for Tay Tay on this one. It doesn’t matter how much money she has. If she wrote those songs, they should be hers. If she DIDN’T, well then we’re in a whole different situation [glances suspiciously towards Lady Gaga]. But I haven’t heard any credible claims of that kind regarding Taylor, so for the time being I’m rooting for her to stay in control and keep fighting. I only hope she manages to keep it together where so many musicians and pop stars before her have cracked or broken.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread